Personal accountability in business is a very important trait to have. It is extremely important to admit when you have made a mistake and face the consequences of that mistake rather than placing the blame on someone else. Not only will those you work with respect you, but you will also respect yourself.
Accountability in business is very important for a number of reasons; without it, you may not succeed. By demonstrating to those you work with and those you work for that you are not afraid to be held accountable for your mistakes or missed deadlines, you will build a level of trust and respect. In order to reach your personal and business goals, you must not the fear of admitting when you are wrong stand in your way. To help you increase your level of accountability, I have listed some ways that can help.
- Know What Your Role Is – It can be difficult to accept accountability if you do not fully understand what you were responsible for in the first place.
- Honesty Is Always The Best Policy – In order to achieve any level of success, you must set aside your pride and admit when you have made a mistake. To avoid missing a deadline or if you are struggling with a project, ask for help.
- Apologize – If something has gone wrong and you were responsible for the mistake, apologize. Express that you wrong and explain that you will do everything within your power to make the situation right.
- Don’t Procrastinate – Choosing to procrastinate is a common way to avoid responsibility for a project that you were assigned. Procrastinating will show those that you work with that you are unreliable and it can affect your professional reputation.
- Avoid Overcommitting – Accepting more than you know you are capable of completing will often lead to the project being completed late or missing important elements. Before you accept any project, you need to carefully look at what it requires and determine if you are capable of completing it.
When you hold yourself personally accountable, you are taking ownership of what happens as a result of your actions and choices. You do not place the blame on others and you take responsibility when things go wrong. Accountability is a very important characteristic to have in both business and in your personal life.
How are you rating in the area of accountability? This is one huge area where having a business coach is extremely vital to your long term success.